Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere (PEaCE/ECPAT Sri Lanka)
Job Title: Project Officer
Job location: Based in Colombo – this position requires extensive travelling.
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of renewal
Protecting Environment and Children Everywhere (PEaCE) is a registered Non-Governmental organisation under the Voluntary Social Services Organisations Act. in Sri Lanka. It is the only organisation within the nation, working exclusively in the field of child sexual abuse and exploitation.
It began in the year of 1991 as a campaign that was part of the ECPAT International initiative to End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and the Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes. As a pioneer organization, it has continued to dedicate itself to the war against Sexual Exploitation of Children (SEC) in Sri Lanka for over 25 years.
The programs conducted by PEaCE have included country-wide awareness programs, training, advocacy, legal aid and counselling services. Recently, we have secured a NEW grant initially for one year supporting the Right to Justice for victims of Sexually Exploited Children in Sri Lanka
PEaCE aims to protect and promote the rights of the child and create an environment in which the safety and security of every child is assured. It is a growing multicultural organization, with a great and friendly working environment.
The Project Officers, will be part of the team that is responsible for planning, developing and implementing activities that are stipulated in the project proposal.
The Project Officers, will report to the Project Manager and will have to work as a cohesive unit with your team in order to complete all the necessary requirements. This job will be based in our Colombo Office, but will require extensive travelling.
- Be part of a team responsible for the overall delivery of planned programs, outputs, targets and activities.
- Be responsible for the development and delivery of the project activities
- Collate information and data as directed, to support the needs of the project, ensuring the accuracy and validity of the data
- Organise and co-ordinate attendance at project-related events (seminars, workshops, consultations, meetings etc.)
- Assist in setting the standards for the project and ensure they are maintained, identifying and implementing improvements as appropriate. Evaluate the success of processes to support future programme delivery
- Take an active role in acquiring resources and working with team members, external resource persons, agencies or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan.
- Coordinate with the relevant state and non-state agencies, and individuals for effective implementation of the activities at the district, divisional and village levels.
- Conduct awareness programmes on Child Rights and OCSEA for stakeholders including high risk families, children, youth, civil society organisations (CSOs), child protection groups, state and private sector employees and law enforcement authorities.
- Strengthen community based safety nets (VCDC, DCC) to protect children at risk
- Introduce Child Safety Policies for CSOs, working for and with children
- Engage civil society organizations to work as a Child Abuse and Protection pressure group to follow up on cases relating to child protection with law.
- Undertake any other related tasks entrusted by the Project Manager
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- 2-year experience in field work
- A strong commitment towards the rights of children
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Sinhala/Tamil, trilingual expertise is desirable
- Be self-motivated and self-initiated
- Proficiency in MS office, and other IT and Social Media platforms.
- Ability to work with a multicultural team
- Be organized with an ability to prioritize work load and work under pressure
- Proven track record in working with time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to work under stress.
- A creative and flexible mind to deal with unexpected situations.
- Physical fitness to travel extensively within the country.
PEaCE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.